Time to make your mushrooms more healthy and valuable
Vitamin D Mushrooms at Fruit Logistica 2019
At this year´s Fruit Logistica – the leading international trade fair for the fruit and vegetable trade – Vitamin D Mushrooms will be presented by a few more producer and retailer, amongst others by Limax B.V. and Banken Champignons Group.
Visit their stands (Hall 3.2 B-17, Hall B, CityCube E-17) and be inspired by their innovative and healthy fresh mushroom products!
Congratulations to BioPilzland
Once again we warmly congratulate Pilzland to their progressive step towards a more healthy and sustainable nutrition!
BioPilzland is the first company in Europe and probably the first worldwide launching bio / organic Vitamin D Mushrooms named “SONNYS Vitamin D Pilze”. BioPilzland is as part of the company Pilzland Vertriebs GmbH. This novel mushroom product will be presented in February on the BIOFACH 2019, the world’s biggest organic trade fair.
Vitamin D Mushrooms
Luxidum offers fully automated customised Vitamin D-Boosters for the production of Vitamin D Mushrooms – the most innovative step forward in fresh mushroom products.
In 2016 Monaghan Mushrooms was granted the first authorisation for UV-treated Vitamin D button mushrooms as a Novel Food.
Since then, Walsh Mushrooms and Banken Champignons applied for authorisation through a costly and time-consuming application process.
However, the Novel Food regulation amendment (EC) No 2015/2283 became valid on 1.1.2018. All foods mentioned in the Novel Food Union List can now be placed on the EU-market by every company without any further authorisation process!
Vitamin D Deficiency
The Europeans’ average vitamin D intake is far below the recommended daily intake, mainly because there are so few food sources rich in vitamin D.
Vitamin D deficiency is a public health issue prevalent worldwide and is one of the key causes of osteoporosis and muscle weakness.
Furthermore, vitamin D deficiency is associated with:
- cognitive impairment
- cardiovascular diseases
- autoimmune diseases
LUXIDUM restores the nutritive value of your mushrooms
Vitamin D Sources
Few foods are naturally rich in vitamin D. Good sources include fatty fish such as salmon and tuna.
However, all mushroom species contain ergosterol, and upon exposure to UV light from the sun or artificial light, this provitamin D is converted through a photochemical reaction to vitamin D.
That´s why wild mushrooms can contain high amounts of vitamin D due to sunlight exposure. On the other hand, the vitamin D content of cultivated button mushrooms is minimal (<0.2 μg/100 g), because they are cultivated indoors without the benefit of sunlight.
Vitamin D Top Food Sources
|FOOD||VITAMIN D CONTENT
|INTAKE TO GET 100% OF RDI  (g)|
|LUXIDUM mushroom powder||up to 40 000||0.04|
|LUXIDUM button mushrooms||15||100|
|Hen´s egg yolk||5.6||270|
 modified, according to Souci/Fachmann/Kraut (2008)
 RDI = Recommended daily intake (15 ug/100 g)
 step-free adjustable content from 0 – 40 000 μg/100 g of powder
 step-free adjustable content from 0 – 30 μg/100 g of fresh weight
One teaspoon of powder can meet your vitamin D needs for 3 months!
Approved Claims by EFSA
Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006 sets the rules on the use of health or nutritional claims on foodstuffs based on scientific evidence. Health claims are any information on labels and advertising stating that health benefits can result from consuming Vitamin D-Mushrooms. The following claims have been approved by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) for Vitamin D-Mushrooms:
- High in vitamin D
- Rich in vitamin D
- Excellent source of vitamin D
- Reinforces the body’s natural defences
- Improves muscle strength
- Important for healthy bones and bone strength
- Enables normal bone formation
- Important for good teeth mineralization
- Essential for the absorption and utilisation of dietary calcium and phosphorus
- Regulates cell division
- Regulates the immune system
We offer Vitamin D-Boosters with different UV light technologies based oncustomer-specific requirements eg. pulsed UV light from Xenon (Polytec GmbH) or continuous UV light from mercury medium pressure bulbs. Our aim is to offer stepfreeadjustability of your mushrooms’ desired vitamin D content from 1 – 30 μg/100 g at the stage of end-customer sales together with very good reproducibility.
Vitamin D synthesis takes place on the surface exposed to UV light only – no impact on any other nutrients than vitamin D!
- Post-harvest UV light treatment
- Machine designs for whole mushrooms, slices and boxes with 4-6 punnets
- Easy to use: switch on, and 5 sec later you can start boosting the value of your mushrooms
- Safe for users: complete shielding from UV light via slalom-tracked punnet guide
- Continuous UV light or pulsed UV light (Xenon, Polytec GmbH)
- Reflector unit equipped with a shutter
- Conveyor belt speed control
- PLC control
- Integral cooling system
- Radiometric control
- Durable construction
- Stand-alone system easy to integrate into your processing line
Luxidum´s Vitamin D-Booster keeps your processing line moving and boosts the vitamin D content of your mushrooms to a predetermined level at very low production costs.
- Worldwide the first machine manufacturer and consultant company 100% dedicated to Vitamin D Mushrooms
- Complete customised solutions for fresh mushrooms & mushroom powder from a single supplier
- Your partner for obtaining EFSA approval for this Novel Food and further mushroom species (e.g. oyster mushrooms, shiitake)
- Consulting service on health and nutrition claims
Will you be the next to place Vitamin D Mushrooms on the EU market? Please contact us!
About the Founder
- Dr. Paul Urbain is a pioneer in the field of “Vitamin D Mushrooms” research. As a nutritional scientist, he was in 2011 the first to demonstrate in humans that the bioavailability of vitamin D from UV-treated and vitamin D-rich button mushrooms can effectively cure vitamin D deficiency .
- Since 2011 he has held the utility patent for the use of Vitamin D Mushroom Powder in different food productsand supplements.
- He recently directed a subproject entitled: “Exploration of novel vitamin D-enriched mushrooms and powdered mushroom-containing food products for prevention of vitamin D deficiency; efficacy and safety” within the EU’s 7th Framework Programme (www.ODIN-vitD.eu) [2-4].
- The project partner Monaghan Mushrooms of Ireland got in 2016 the first authorisation of UV-treated and vitamin D-rich button mushrooms as a Novel Food.
- In 2017, he submitted on behalf of a large producer of button mushrooms in Germany, an application for authorisation to put Vitamin D-Mushrooms on the EU market under the simplified notification procedure.
 Urbain et al. (2011). Bioavailability of vitamin D2 from UV-B-irradiated button mushrooms in healthy adults deficient in serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D: a randomized controlled trial. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 65, 965–971.
 Cashman, Urbain et al. (2016). Effect of Ultraviolet Light-Exposed Mushrooms on Vitamin D Status: Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry Reanalysis of Biobanked Sera from a Randomized Controlled Trial and a Systematic Review plus Meta-Analysis. J Nutr.146(3), 565-75.