Time to make your mushrooms more healthy and valuable
We are very proud to announce that we could grant exclusivity to ARCO Solutions for the sale of Vitamin D-Booster for mushroom punnets.
ARCO is a leading specialist in the development, engineering, and assembly of entire mushroom process lines.
To a fruitful co-operation!
At this year´s Fruit Logistica – the leading international trade fair for the fruit and vegetable trade – Vitamin D Mushrooms will be presented amongst others by Limax B.V. and Banken Champignons B.V. . Banken Champignons B.V. present their Vitamin D Mushrooms in a unique eye-catching cardboard packaging with top seal film.
Congratulations to The Greenery and Jarno Goesten for the production and sale of over 1.000.000 Vitamin D Mushroom punnets in 2019 – wow!
The Greenery posted this news in December at their facebook account.
Vitamin D Mushrooms
In 2016 Monaghan Mushrooms was granted the first authorisation for UV-treated Vitamin D button mushrooms as a Novel Food.
However, the Novel Food regulation amendment (EC) No 2015/2283 became valid on 1.1.2018. All foods mentioned in the Novel Food Union List can now be placed on the EU-market by every company without any further authorisation process!
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency is a public health issue prevalent worldwide and is one of the key causes of osteoporosis and muscle weakness.
- cognitive impairment
- cardiovascular diseases
- autoimmune diseases
Vitamin D Sources
However, all mushroom species contain ergosterol, and upon exposure to UV light from the sun or artificial light, this provitamin D is converted through a photochemical reaction to vitamin D.
Vitamin D Top Food Sources
|FOOD||VITAMIN D CONTENT
|INTAKE TO GET 100% OF RDI  (g)|
|LUXIDUM mushroom powder||up to 40 000||0.04|
|LUXIDUM button mushrooms||15||100|
|Hen´s egg yolk||5.6||270|
 modified, according to Souci/Fachmann/Kraut (2008)
 RDI = Recommended daily intake (15 ug/100 g)
 step-free adjustable content from 0 – 40 000 μg/100 g of powder
 step-free adjustable content from 0 – 30 μg/100 g of fresh weight
Approved Claims by EFSA
Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006 sets the rules on the use of health or nutritional claims on foodstuffs based on scientific evidence. Health claims are any information on labels and advertising stating that health benefits can result from consuming Vitamin D-Mushrooms. The following claims have been approved by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) for Vitamin D-Mushrooms:
- High in vitamin D
- Rich in vitamin D
- Excellent source of vitamin D
- Reinforces the body’s natural defences
- Improves muscle strength
- Important for healthy bones and bone strength
- Enables normal bone formation
- Important for good teeth mineralization
- Essential for the absorption and utilisation of dietary calcium and phosphorus
- Regulates cell division
- Regulates the immune system
Vitamin D synthesis takes place on the surface exposed to UV light only – no impact on any other nutrients than vitamin D!
- Post-harvest UV light treatment
- Machine designs for whole mushrooms, slices and boxes with 4-6 punnets
- Easy to use: switch on, and 5 sec later you can start boosting the value of your mushrooms
- Safe for users: complete shielding from UV light via slalom-tracked punnet guide
- Continuous UV light or pulsed UV light (Xenon, Polytec GmbH)
- Reflector unit equipped with a shutter
- Conveyor belt speed control
- PLC control
- Integral cooling system
- Radiometric control
- Durable construction
- Stand-alone system easy to integrate into your processing line
- Worldwide the first machine manufacturer and consultant company 100% dedicated to Vitamin D Mushrooms
- Complete customised solutions for fresh mushrooms & mushroom powder from a single supplier
- Your partner for obtaining EFSA approval for this Novel Food and further mushroom species (e.g. oyster mushrooms, shiitake)
- Consulting service on health and nutrition claims
About the Founder
- Dr. Paul Urbain is a pioneer in the field of “Vitamin D Mushrooms” research. As a nutritional scientist, he was in 2011 the first to demonstrate in humans that the bioavailability of vitamin D from UV-treated and vitamin D-rich button mushrooms can effectively cure vitamin D deficiency .
- Since 2011 he has held the utility patent for the use of Vitamin D Mushroom Powder in different food products and supplements.
- He recently directed a subproject entitled: “Exploration of novel vitamin D-enriched mushrooms and powdered mushroom-containing food products for prevention of vitamin D deficiency; efficacy and safety” within the EU’s 7th Framework Programme (ODIN) [2-4].
- The project partner Monaghan Mushrooms of Ireland got in 2016 the first authorisation of UV-treated and vitamin D-rich button mushrooms as a Novel Food.
- In 2017, he submitted on behalf of a large producer of button mushrooms in Germany, an application for authorisation to put Vitamin D-Mushrooms on the EU market under the simplified notification procedure.
 Cashman, Urbain et al. (2016). Effect of Ultraviolet Light-Exposed Mushrooms on Vitamin D Status: Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry Reanalysis of Biobanked Sera from a Randomized Controlled Trial and a Systematic Review plus Meta-Analysis. J Nutr.146(3), 565-75.